Publishing and distributing online articles have never been so easy in the era of internet-aided communications. Aside from sharing them with family and friends, articles published online are now accessible to interested readers through numerous search engines and social networking sites.
Today, there are many different ways to increase visibility so as to get more readers. One of the most common and most effective methods is the Search Engine Optimization, or commonly known as SEO. The process entails maximizing the visibility of the web page in a search engine’s search result.
How SEO Works
Search engines categorize the Web pages through their topics. Since there is no way for search engines to determine what an article is all about, it reads only keywords or important terms that describe the contents of the article.
Many search engines use virtual programs like spiders or crawlers in searching sites and analyzing individual pages. Once the program has read the Web pages, it determines and indexes the terms that appeared multiple times and those in the most important sections of the article. This will be the basis in ranking the websites in their search results.
Writing Awesome Articles
Some people are good at article writing and therefore make good bloggers. Their works are essentially content rich with interesting information. Meanwhile, others resort to tactics in order to get higher ranking in Search Engines without much regard to the quality of their contents. The aim is simply to get better ranking in search results.
The good news is, you can create good quality content and apply effective SEO techniques at the same time to ensure higher success rates. This way, you get to connect more with the readers through your works.
Once you have decided to write your own blog or start your online writing career here are some of the best practices in online article writing.
- Decide on What To Write.
When creating an article, make sure to consider what you are going to write about and what your message would be. This serves as your lead as you go about writing the article. Think of what you want to tell your readers as well. Be concise and cohesive.
- Know your readers.
Effective writing involves knowing your readers. Simplifying your write-up is a must especially when writing for the general public. Avoid using jargon unless your target audience are pretty technical, like techno geeks or game enthusiasts.
- Be Organized.
Make sure to organize the thought of the article. Like any form of writing, start with an introduction then proceed with the body and close the article with a good conclusion. You can create a skeletal structure of the entire article before starting to write. This makes it easier to move along.
- Present it in a Paragraph
Arrange your sentences in a seamless manner, preferably in a paragraph format. Make sure that sentences in a paragraph connect to each other and that they make sense. Each paragraph should have a main idea and sentences to support it.
- Apply Headings.
Headings make navigating and scanning the web page easy. Not everyone has the leisure of time to go through lengthy texts. Headings catch the reader’s attention and provide an insight on what the article means overall. It also helps to use sub-headings in organizing the page.
Writing for SEO
With those helpful tips in mind, crafting a good quality article is now easier than ever. The next challenge is to get the contents seen. There are many great writers, so the competition gets fiercer and fiercer. Here are a few practical guidelines in writing for SEO.
- Incorporate keywords. It is a known fact that keywords are undeniably important in writing online articles and how you use them determines the success of your article. Needless to say, the title should bear the keyword. Just a caveat: make sure that the keyword sounds natural, so it does not appear out of place.
- Keyword placement. Mention the keyword multiple times in the article. It is best to position them in the first and second paragraph. In the subsequent paragraphs, limit the use of the keyword to no more than 1.5 percent.
- Insert appropriate pictures. Not only do pictures break the monotony of texts, it can also increase your chances of visibility through image search. Image-driven content is well suited for virtual audience, too.
- Update your website. It is advisable to add contents to the website regularly since Google prioritizes active websites. Constantly maintain the website with new updates, additional information and functional enhancements to make it more appealing to search engines and readers alike.
- Content is king. There is no denying to this. The same principle that started SEO still applies today. Do not write just to drive up visibility. Remember, you are writing for humans, not for machines. An article that does not put emphasis on the quality of its content cannot last long. It may have a temporary boost, but it could derail the integrity and reputation of your brand.
Link previous content. This further strengthens your posts. For starters, it shows your expertise and authority on the topic. If you have written a number of articles related to this matter, your trustworthiness increases. Moreover, it makes it easier for the readers to look for other related contents.
Use SEO software. In order to maximize your article, you can take advantage of many SEO software that do wonders. This helps you in formulating meta description, analyzing content readability, checking keyword density, and other important aspects in online article writing.
The SEO tricks used by some to improve their website rankings before are no longer applicable nowadays. Gone were the days when one just needs to be technical to capitalize on search engines. At present, the surest way to get higher position in Google is to write a content-rich SEO friendly article. This does not only also lead to more return visitors to your website. More importantly, this could enhance your reputation as quality content provider.